Hi there Rob, I hope I’m not too late to help!
Trying to sort a friends computer. After he loaded TalkTalk software the opening XP page stays for 3secs and restarts at infinitum! Can’t get past the opening page. Anyone got any ideas?
If it’s what I’m thinking of then it’s probably something in your start menu. You have a couple options.
1. Restart the system.
2. After the first beep repeatedly hit the F8 key (above the 9) until it either gives you a constant beep (that’s ok) or it takes you to a black screen with a menu on it.
3. Select ‘Safe Mode’ you will require the Administrator password set at the time of installation. (Or possibly not if it wasn’t set.)
4. It will take a while to get started, so go and get some tea.
5. Once it’s come to the Windows screen (except washed out and a bit bigger) then click on Start.
6. Select ‘Run’
7. Type ‘msconfig’ (without the ‘) and click ‘OK’
8. Go to the startup tab. You can safely untick every box in that list. Do it!
9. Click Ok and restart the system.
It is possible it was trial software included with the package. Enable Windows Firewall and make sure you have some good antivirus software. If that doesn’t fix it, let me know. Or let us know what did!